Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Found Karma In An Abandoned Building

One day, about a year and a half ago, I was riding through an alley behind some older, run-down looking buildings here in Decatur.  I was just looking to see what I might run across because, sometimes, people throw away good stuff.  I know, hard to believe, but it's true.  Anyway, as I drove slowly through the alley, scanning both sides, I saw a trailer behind a building.  It wasn't a full-sized 18-wheeler trailer.  It was smaller, but the same type of trailer.  But, it wasn't the trailer that caught my eye.  It was the big oval shaped sign on the side of the trailer.  The trailer looked like it had been there for a year or three, so I decided to stop and see if it might be for sale.

I drove around the block to the front of the building, but it didn't take long to realize that this place hadn't been occupied for some time.  I tried to look through the windows, but there were curtains and blinds blocking my view.  So, I went a couple of doors down to a business that actually had humans in it.  I asked if they knew who owned the building, but they didn't have any helpful information.  So, I went back outside and surveyed the scene.

The place was in obvious disrepair.  The roof had lots of missing shingles, there was garbage on the front porch and around the sides of the building and the siding had definitely seen better days.  It occurred to me that if the place was just completely abandoned, I could probably go around to the back and take the sign off the trailer unbeknownst to the owner, wherever he might be, or to anyone else for that matter.  But, I decided that wasn't the thing to do.  Sure, I liked the sign and I really wanted it, but not bad enough to steal it.  Chances are, it would never be missed.  But, wrong is wrong and I elected to do the right thing.  I drove away empty handed.

For the next year, every time I drove down that street, I craned my neck to see the trailer behind the building and, sure enough, the sign still hung there as lonely as the first time I saw it.  I would concoct elaborate schemes involving sneaking in under the cover of darkness, stealthily leaning my extension ladder against the trailer and unscrewing the sign from the trailer.  This is where my ninja training would finally pay off!  Driving away, sign safely tucked into the back seat, I would smile a satisfied smile, knowing that by the time the crime was discovered, I would be long gone.  At least to the other side of town.

But, alas, I have a conscience.  That being the case, my ninja training has yet to be useful.  I just drove past the trailer and the sign, leaving them to continue to rust.

Until August 17, 2011.

On August 17, I happened to be driving down the street in front of the junked building with the trailer behind it.  But, on that day, there were a couple of trucks parked in front, an extension cord run around to the side and a guy on a ladder.  Even better, the front door was open.  I had to stop and check it out.  I parked my car and, as I got out, I saw another man walking between the buildings toward the front.  I walked up and asked him if he knew who owned the building and he said he was the owner.  Things were looking up!

So, I had the right guy.  I told him I was interested in the sign on the trailer and asked if he might be interested in selling it.  He said that he might sell it, but it would probably be about a month before he did.  That sort of puzzled me but I asked what he might want for it.  He said he wasn't sure, but it wouldn't be cheap.  That's not what I wanted to hear.  Then he asked what I would be willing to pay.  Well, at that point, I had to do my best to point out the imperfections, the dents, the rust...all the things that give it character, but detract from the value, depending on which side of the transaction you're standing.

When I mentioned that it had some rust, he looked at me and said, "That thing's aluminum.  It won't rust."  At that point, I detected a communication breakdown.  I said, "Are we still talking about the sign?"  He looked at me and sort of laughed.  "Sign?  I thought you wanted to buy my trailer."  Mystery solved.

After we got on the same page, he admitted that he was a little surprised that anyone would want some old sign like that.  I again asked how much he wanted for the sign and he said, "Well, if you really want it and you're willing to climb up there and take it down, you can just have it.That wasn't what I was expecting, but I thanked him profusely.  After talking with him for a few minutes, I learned that he was planning to tear down the building the next day.  He mentioned that the building was mostly full of garbage and it was all going to be left in the building when it was torn down.  Of course, I had to ask if I could look through the building and pull out things I might want.  By this time, I'm sure he thought I had completely lost my mind, but he said to go for it.

And, I did.  I looked through every room of that building and determined that, for the most part, he was absolutely correct in his assessment that the building was full of garbage.  But, I happened to dig to the bottom of a garbage can and I found this old corn sheller.


It still has the original wood handle and everything turns freely.  Definitely better than most of the things you would find in the bottom of a garbage can.  I also found an old milk bottle, a wooden chicken (somewhat cooler than it sounds) and a few other interesting items.


So, I came back after work with a ladder and some tools.  After some "persuasion", the rivets that held the sign in place finally decided to give up the fight and the sign was mine!  Here it is leaned against my bumper just after I liberated it from the trailer.




Was this story a bit lengthy?  Maybe.  But, was it entertaining?  I hope so.  And, believe it or not, there's a moral to this story.  Do the right thing and you'll be rewarded for it.  I have no doubt that I could have taken the sign any time I wanted, even without busting out the ninja skills.  But, it was the wrong thing to do.  I waited, went about it the right way and was rewarded with not only a free sign, but also a corn sheller and a wooden chicken.  As if that weren't enough, about 2 weeks later, I sold the sign and put some money in my pocket.  And, I felt good about it.

Thanks for reading.  Please take time to check out the links on the right.  I've added a couple of new For Sale items and I've added some pretty awesome Twitter and Pinterest buttons in the Connect With Me section.  Even if you don't do Twitter or Pinterest, at least go and admire the buttons.

And, as always, please share my blog with your friends.

John 

No comments:

Post a Comment